Please notice: We try to keep our infos up to date, but please always double check with the official websites of the regarding institutions!!!
How can I find accommodation?
- If you want to live in a dormitory contact the OeAD Housing Office. You can find further information on their homepage or in the International Office’s Welcome Guide.
- Other possibilities for finding dormitories: Akademikerhilfe, wihast, home4students or viennabase.
- If you are looking for a (shared) flat these links might help you:
- If you need somewhere to stay, until you can move into your dormitory or your flat we recommend:
How do I get stuff (bike, kitchenware, etc.)?
- Use our partner UNISTARTER, who provides you with bed linen, towels and dishes
- Check the Austrian website willhaben.at
- Flea Market at WUK
- Flea Market next to Naschmarkt
- Dates of Flea Markets for bikes: radflohmarkt.at
How do I get a ticket for public transport?
- Within the city borders you can use all public transport with one ticket, since it’s all one zone. More information about the different types of tickets (such as Single Trip Ticket, Half Price etc.) you can find at the Wiener Linien homepage.
- Probably you want a “Semesterticket” (a ticket valid for all the public transport in Vienna during the entire semester). You can get those here with your student’s ID and your “Meldezettel”. (If you don’t have the semester sticker for your student’s ID yet, you can also show the confirmation of payment.)
How do I find my way through Vienna by Public Transport?
- The Wiener Linien provide a very handy electronic trip planner and smartphone apps.
- If you want to leave the city use Scotty or VOR.
How do I get a bank account and do I really need one?
- You only need an Austrian bank account if you are going to receive salary from an Austrian employee or if you want to get a mobile phone contract. (You don’t need it for prepaid phone cards!)
- However we recommend a bank account by N26, which is an online banking app without any management or withdrawal fee!
How do I get a mobile phone?
- There are several providers in Austria such as A1, Drei, T-Mobile and HoT. If you are looking explicitly for a prepaid you should check out A1 B.free, bob and yesss.
How about health insurance?
- This depends on where you come from and if you have a valid health insurance in you home country. Please check the information provided via the ÖAD